July 30, 2006

Israeli Air Strike Turns Canaa Water into Blood

The real miracle here is if Israel will be able to get away with this one. The Israeli airstrike in the biblical city of Canaa sent shockwaves through the international community and for me, was the straw that broke the camel’s back. A targeted air strike at a refugee shelter killed over 50 innocent people this morning almost half of them children.

Israel’s defence of the bombing: the refugees should have left, we told them we were coming. Blaming 25 children for not leaving is very classy Ehud. Steve will continue to tow the American line on this. I can see the poll numbers in freefall. When our foreign policy is made in Washington, Canadians usually don’t like that very much. At least there will be no majority.

Hezbollah is now almost as popular as Paul Martin was. 85% of Lebanese people now support a terrorist organization. The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons, is the definition of terrorism. hezbollah is definitely guilty of it. Bombing 25 children because they didnt leave did not help the cause of the IDF. Can Israel use terrorism to defend itself? Is it already? Discuss!

34 Commentaires:

Blogger Fady a dit...

Here is another example of savage war crimes by the Zionist state.

I hope they will suffer just like my people have suffered.

7/30/2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger Antonio a dit...

For the record, my answer to my question is that after bombing UN peacekeepers and hitting innocent children, they do not have much latitude left.

7/30/2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger Alex Plante a dit...

Fady,

What Israel has done is terrible. No question there but it shouldn't justify the killings of innocent Israeli civilians.

They are civilians, just like the Lebanese civilians. The actions of the Israeli government are breeding hatred towards their country and will help the rise of new terrorist groups. They are headed down a very dangerous path.

We can't hope that the people of Israel will suffer like the Lebanese. No one on Earth should suffer like what the Lebanese are living through now.

Alex

7/30/2006 1:11 PM  
Blogger s.b. a dit...

the straw that broke the Camel's back? You have been ridiculously anti-israel for weeks. Keep supporting Hezbollah, Hamas, Syria and Iran Antonio. Did you notice the Pro Hezbollah chants and posters of their leader at all those rallies yesterday. Keep deluding yourself into thinking you are doing anything else but furthering Sryia and Irans plans in the region Antonio. You are ridiculously Naive and anti-semetic.

7/30/2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger Noah a dit...

Here is the difference that you and so many others continually neglect to mention when discussing this issue.


As a terror group Hezbollah's main goal is the targeting of innocent people. They do not go after military institutions and regiments, they intentionally target the largest group of civilians possible.

On the flip side the Israel Defense Forces are a moral organization. They have moral laws and a moral code and they carry out their actions accordingly. They do not target innocents they target locations which are known to have ties to an organization that launches 100 rockets a day into their country. It is regrettable that innocent people are losing their lives in Lebanon over this conflict. However we must not forget that Hezbollah is intentionally shooting their rockets from residential neighbourhoods knowing full well that Israel will respond and that people will be killed. They make the choice to use their own people as human shields just to advance their own cause.

There can be no justification for the TARGETING of innocent people, Hezbollah makes that their mission. Any democratic country has the obligation to ensure the safety and security of their own citizens. It is time that we stop holding Israel to a standard above any other country in the world.

If any other nation faced the threats Israel faces on a daily basis they would be responding the same way. We must look deep within ourselves and when we do it will be easy to see that Israel is doing the only thing it can do. They are working to ensure a safer Middle East, because it will never be safe, it will never be secure as long as countries like Lebanon continue to allow groups like Hezbollah to exist.

7/30/2006 1:23 PM  
Blogger Liberal Pebbles a dit...

I wonder if this shelter was operated by the defacto southern Labanese Government, Hezbollah.

7/30/2006 2:08 PM  
Blogger Bud a dit...

How come Israeli citizens haven't been killed? Because Hezbollah's rockets are crude and unreliable. The intent of Hezbollah's rockets is to kill innocent victims including children. The problem is that their rockets have missed and Israeli rockets have hit. What's the difference? How can you be against one and not the other?

7/30/2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger J. Kelly a dit...

Um, maybe you should compare Hezbollah's "popularity" to someone other than Paul Martin... When I read that sentence, I thought you meant Hezbollah was now extremely unpopular.

7/30/2006 2:28 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

From the Britih Press:

THIS is the picture that damns Hezbollah. It is one of several, smuggled from behind Lebanon's battle lines, showing that Hezbollah is waging war amid suburbia.

The images, obtained exclusively by the Sunday Herald Sun, show Hezbollah using high-density residential areas as launch pads for rockets and heavy-calibre weapons.

Dressed in civilian clothing so they can quickly disappear, the militants carrying automatic assault rifles and ride in on trucks mounted with cannon.

The photographs, from the Christian area of Wadi Chahrour in the east of Beirut, were taken by a visiting journalist and smuggled out by a friend.

7/30/2006 4:29 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

The straw that broke the camel's back was the Arab people sitting back and allowing Hizbollah and Hamas to establish military installations in their backyards, on the rooftops of their hospitals and in their mosques.

When Israel, tragically kills a civilian, it expresses regret and sorrow.

When Hizbollah, succeeds in killing civilians after aiming for them and filling their bombs with nails and ballbearings (to do greater damage) they dance in the streets are reward their children with candy.

That, Fady and Antonio is the moral difference between the two actions.

7/30/2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Fady a dit...

They better apologize 550 Lebanese civilians (excluding Hezbollah) were killed.

51 Israelis killed...only 18 of them are civilians.

Get your facts straight....you don't seem to have many.

7/30/2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger ottlib a dit...

"The straw that broke the camel's back was the Arab people sitting back and allowing Hizbollah and Hamas to establish military installations in their backyards, on the rooftops of their hospitals and in their mosques."

Yep, if a bunch of armed men were in my neighbourhood using it to launch attacks on someplace else I would certainly go outside and tell them to go away. Uh huh.

"Dressed in civilian clothing so they can quickly disappear..."

Exactly! By the time the Israeli airforce gets there to bomb the area Hezbollah has already moved somewhere else, so the only people left in the area are civilians.

So when the Israelis bomb these areas they do nothing to degrade Hezbollah's ability to launch attacks on Israel. They only succeed in killing innocent people.

7/30/2006 5:22 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

Fady:

Israel has moved its civilians underground.

Did the Lebaneese people forget to ask Syria to build bomb shelters for them as they sent billions of dollars of arms to Hizbollah.

7/30/2006 5:39 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

Fady:

As an Arab you shopuld be ashamed and apologize for the fact that your people have allowed HAmas and Hizbollah to run rampant.

There are no Israeli Suicide bombers, no Israelis who fly planes into buildings, no Iasraelis arrested in Toronto planing to bomb Queen's Park.

Get your facts straight!

If you want to be an honest broker first you have to be honest!

7/30/2006 5:41 PM  
Blogger Tarek a dit...

Grit Heart,

Stop bullying people into apologising for acts they are not responsible for. You know very well Hizballah is funded by Syria and Iran, and had you actually listened to the news instead of wallowing in your ignorance, you would have known that the vast majority of Arab countries have condemned Hizballah's actions and have expressed the desire to see them disarmed.
You also would have known that only a couple of weeks before Israel started wreaking havoc in Lebanon, a bill was deposed in Parliament that would have changed the electoral law in order to give Hizballah less political power.
Your ignorance shames me! I cannot believe that I am a member of the same party as you!

7/30/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger foottothefire a dit...

Those Qana kids must have been anti-semetic; God punished them. Ah hell, they (the good guys)probably were just aiming at a bad guy or two. Collateral damage type of thing. One of those war things. Hell, Maybe they were Canadian. Canadians seem to be expendable too.
Kofi Annan needs to drink more beer. He's too excitable. What's an unarmed Soldier or two in the larger scheme of things.
They sure no how to kill one another though, don't they? And George? Well, he's practising spitting. and Steve? Well he's such a worthless dink all he can do is wait for his next directive ... from George.
How in fuck does a George Bush ever rise to be flopped dough let alone a President? I think he's an Arab plot. Osama's got his number. Yep. Got the man by the balls.
Did I mention I bought a hose reel made in Israel. Damned cleverest bit of commerce, ever. Winds itself back up. Incredible that it should be invented there ... in Israel; nothing but fucking desert.
Maybe someone should say to someone else; "your fighting over desert, you fucking dickheads. Oh, and by the way, God abandoned it a long time ago. Moved his headquarters. And ... he left you behind. Does that tell you anything?

7/30/2006 6:34 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

Tarek:

Arab leaders have done nothing to stop the flow of funds and arms to Hamas and Hizbollah.

It is you who are ignorant. And I am in the majority view in the Party.

If you don't like it join the NDP.

You can't be an honest broker until your first honest.

Hizbollah and Hamas are criminals. Arabs in Canada should be saying so instead of parading in the streets with Narallahs's poster.

It is revolting!

7/30/2006 10:14 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

Here is some more evidence:


here’s a translation of a letter to the editor of Berlin left-wing daily Die Tagesspiegel from a Lebanese Shia who lived in the southern area controlled by Hizballah:

I lived until 2002 in a small southern village near Mardshajund that is inhabited by a majority of Shias like me. After Israel left Lebanon, it did not take long for Hezbollah to have its say in other towns. Received as successful resistance fighters and armed to the teeth, they stored rockets in bunkers in our town as well. The social work of the Party of God consisted in building a school and a residence over these bunkers! A local sheikh explained to me laughing that the Jews would lose in any event because the rockets would either be fired at them or if they attacked the rockets depots, they would be condemned by world opinion on account of the dead civilians. These people do not care about the Lebanese population, they use them as shields, and, once dead, as propaganda. As long as they continue existing there, there will be no tranquility and peace.

Dr. Mounir Herzallah
Berlin-Wedding

7/30/2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

Leaflets distributed by the IDF, July 25, 2006:




Translation:

To all citizens south of the Litani River

Due to the terror activities being carried out against the State of Israel from within your villages and homes, the IDF is forced to respond immediately against these activities, even within your villages. For your safety! We call upon you to evacuate your villages and move north of the Litani River.

7/30/2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger s.b. a dit...

The only thing Harper left out of his postition is his support for Lebanon as a state. Is is perfectly legitimatge and in fact the correct answer to say, "Israel has the right to defend itself against terrorists firing on its borders in the south and kidnapping its people; and Canada supports the Lebanese government and will help it in whatever way we can to resolve this conflict by providing aid or military capabilities to disarm Hezbollah.

The global comunity has to step up and provide the social service network that Hezbollah has been providing in the South. This is the same as my repeated insistance that developmental aid cannot be cut off to the Palestinian people. Money cannot be given to Hamas but the aid can come through other channels.

Liberals need to become a little more estute and separate terrorists from sovereign governments(Hamas isn't because Palestine is not a state because it has refused to become one several times) from people who need aid that will be provided by terrorist groups to those who support them if we don't.

Its actually quite easy to distinguish between these elements in the conflict. We need to stop conflating very different organizations, governments and peoples into one, and making statements like good bad, etc.

Some more immature elements in the Liberal Party have difficulty with this the rest of us shouldn't

7/31/2006 8:13 AM  
Blogger A Toronto Liberal a dit...

The terrorist defenders like Fady and Tarek and Antonio have no place in the Liberal Party. The Liberal Party has always stood with our Isreali allies since 1948 when Canada was one of the first countries to recognize the jewish state.

I suggest that those "Liberals" who wish for Isreal to suffer to join the NDP. It's a party more open to anti-semites and terrorist defenders.

7/31/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger James Bowie a dit...

Hi Antonio,


Are you quite accustomed to being called a racist? What's it like being an anti-semite?

Please go on speaking up whenever people get blown up. Good work.

7/31/2006 11:24 AM  
Blogger s.b. a dit...

This just in.; Ig's campaign doesn't know where he is and he has no future events listed on his website. This guy is done.

7/31/2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

Where the hell is Iggy????

7/31/2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

A very important and insightful article by a Lebaneese civilian.

Make sure to read this Fady and Tarek.


The most hypocritical people on earth (info # 033007/6 EV)

> © Metula News Agency

> Sunday 30 July [21:23:00 BST]

>

> MapSat

> By Michael Béhé in Beirut

>

>

>

> English

>

>

>

> Note for French subscribers - Note pour les abonnés francophones

>

> L'article qui constitue cette dépêche a déjà été diffusé en français à une

> date antérieure et peut être lu sur le site de l'agence, à l'adresse

> www.menapress.com

>

>

>

>

>

> Translated from the French by Llewellyn Brown

>

>

>

> Ména will continue to inform its readers of the evolution of the

> situation, by way of continuous official statements on this site for the

> minor developments, and by emailing "breaking news" to its subscribers, in

> the case of major events.

>

>

>

> The politicians, journalists and intellectuals of Lebanon have, of late,

> been experiencing the shock of their lives. They knew full well that

> Hezbollah had created an independent state in our country, a state

> including all the ministers and parallel institutions, duplicating those

> of Lebanon. What they did not know - and are discovering with this war,

> and what has petrified them with surprise and terror - is the extent of

> this phagocytosis.

>

>

>

> In fact, our country had become an extension of Iran, and our so-called

> political power also served as a political and military cover for the

> Islamists of Teheran. We suddenly discovered that Teheran had stocked more

> than 12,000 missiles, of all types and calibers, on our territory and that

> they had patiently, systematically, organized a suppletive force, with the

> help of the Syrians, that took over, day after day, all the rooms in the

> House of Lebanon. Just imagine it : we stock ground-to-ground missiles,

> Zilzals, on our territory and that the firing of such devices without our

> knowledge, has the power to spark a regional strategic conflict and,

> potentially, bring about the annihilation of Lebanon.

>

>

>

> We knew that Iran, by means of Hezbollah, was building a veritable Maginot

> line in the south but it was the pictures of Maroun el-Ras and Bint J'bail

> that revealed to us the magnitude of these constructions. This amplitude

> made us understand several things at once : that we were no longer masters

> of our destiny. That we do not possess the most basic means necessary to

> reverse the course of this state of things and that those who turned our

> country into an outpost of their islamic doctrine's combat against Israel

> did not have the slightest intention of willingly giving up their hold

> over us.

>

>

>

> The national salvation discussions that concerned the application of

> Resolution 1559 and which included most of the Lebanese political

> movements were simply for show. Iran and Syria had not invested billions

> of dollars on militarizing Lebanon in order to wage their war, simply to

> give in to the desire of the Lebanese and the international community for

> them to pack up their hardware and set it up back home.

>

>

>

> And then, the indecision, the cowardice, the division and the

> irresponsible behavior of our leaders are such that they had no effort to

> make to show their talent. No need to engage a wrestling match with the

> other political components of the Land of Cedars. The latter showed

> themselves - and continue to show themselves - to be inconsistent.

>

>

>

> Of course, our army, reshaped over the years by the Syrian occupier so it

> could no longer fulfill its role as protector of the nation, did not have

> the capacity to tackle the militamen of the Hezb [hezb-Allah : the party

> of Allah. Translator's note]. Our army whom it is more dangerous to call

> upon - because of the explosive equilibrium that constitutes each of its

> brigades - than to shut up behind locked doors in its barracks. A force

> that is still largely loyal to its former foreign masters, to the point of

> being uncontrollable ; to the point of having collaborated with the

> Iranians to put OUR coastal radar stations at the disposal of their

> missiles, that almost sunk an Israeli boat off the shores of Beirut. As

> for the non-Hezbollah elements in the government, they knew nothing of the

> existence of land-to-sea missiles on our territory. That caused the

> totally justified destruction of all OUR radar stations by the Hebrews'

> army. And even then we are getting off lightly in these goings-on.

>

>

>

> It is easy now to whine and gripe, and to play the hypocritical role of

> victims. We know full well how to get others to pity us and to claim that

> we are never responsible for the horrors that regularly occur on our soil.

> Of course, that is nothing but rubbish! The Security Council's Resolution

> 1559 - that demanded that OUR government deploy OUR army on OUR sovereign

> territory, along OUR international border with Israel and that it disarm

> all the militia on OUR land - was voted on 2 September 2004.

>

>

>

> We had two years to put implement this resolution and thus guarantee a

> peaceful future to our children but we did strictly nothing. Our greatest

> crime - which was not the only one! - was not that we did not succeed but

> that we did not attempt or undertake anything. And that was the fault of

> none else than the pathetic Lebanese politicians.

>

>

>

> Our government, from the very moment the Syrian occupier left, let ships

> and truckloads of arms pour into our country. Without even bothering to

> look at their cargo. They jeopardized all chances for the rebirth of our

> country by confusing the Cedar Revolution with the liberation of Beirut.

> In reality, we had just received the chance - a sort of unhoped-for

> moratorium - that allowed us to take the future into our own hands,

> nothing more.

>

>

>

> To think that we were not even capable of agreeing to "hang" Émile

> Lahoud - Al-Assad's puppet - on Martyrs' Square and that he is still

> president of what some insist on calling our republic. There is no need to

> look any further : we are what we are, that is to say, not much.

>

>

>

> All those who assume public and communicational responsibilities in this

> country are responsible for this catastrophe. Except those of my

> colleagues, journalists and editors, who are dead, assassinated by the

> Syrian thugs, because they were clearly less cowardly than those who

> survived. And Lahoud remained at Baadbé [the president of the Lebanese

> Republic's palace. Editor's note]!

>

>

>

> And when I speak of a catastrophe, I do not mean the action accomplished

> by Israel in response to the aggression against its civilians and its

> army, which was produced from our soil and that we did strictly nothing to

> avoid, and for which we are consequently responsible. Any avoiding of this

> responsibility - some people here do not have the minimal notions of

> international law necessary to understand! - means that Lebanon, as a

> state, does not exist.

>

>

>

> The hypocrisy goes on : even some editorialists of the respectable

> L'Orient-le-Jour put Hezbollah's savagery and that of the Israelis on a

> par! Shame! Spinelessness! And who are we in this fable? Poor ad æternum

> victims of the ambitions of others?

>

>

>

> Politicians either support this insane idea or keep silent. Those we would

> expect to speak, to save our image, remain silent like the others. And I

> am precisely alluding to general Aoun, who could have made a move by

> proclaiming the truth. Even his enemy, Walid Jumblatt, the Druse leader,

> has proved to be less. vague.

>

>

>

> Lebanon a victim? What a joke!

>

>

>

> Before the Israeli attack, Lebanon no longer existed, it was no more than

> a hologram. At Beirut innocent citizens like myself were forbidden access

> to certain areas of their own capital. But our police, our army and our

> judges were also excluded. That was the case, for example, of Hezbollah's

> and the Syrians' command zone in the Haret Hreik quarter (in red on the

> satellite map). A square measuring a kilometer wide, a capital within the

> capital, permanently guarded by a Horla army [1], possessing its own

> institutions, its schools, its crèches, its tribunals, its radio, its

> television and, above all. its government. A "government" that, alone

> decided, in the place of the figureheads of the Lebanese government - in

> which Hezbollah also had its ministers! - to attack a neighboring state,

> with which we had no substantial or grounded quarrel, and to plunge US

> into a bloody conflict. And if attacking a sovereign nation on its

> territory, assassinating eight of its soldiers, kidnapping two others and,

> simultaneously, launching missiles on nine of its towns does not

> constitute a casus belli, the latter juridical principle will seriously

> need revising.

>

>

>

> Thus almost all of these cowardly politicians, including numerous shiah

> leaders and religious personalities themselves, are blessing each bomb

> that falls from a Jewish F-16 turning the insult to our sovereignty that

> was Haret Hreik, right in the heart of Beirut, into a lunar landscape.

> Without the Israelis, how could we have received another chance - that we

> in no way deserve! - to rebuild our country?

>

>

>

> Each Irano-Syrian fort that Jerusalem destroys, each islamic fighter they

> eliminate, and Lebanon proportionally starts to live again! Once again,

> the soldiers of Israel are doing our work. Once again, like in 1982, we

> are watching - cowardly, lying low, despicable, and insulting them to

> boot - their heroic sacrifice that allows us to keep hoping. To not be

> swallowed up in the bowels of the earth. Because, of course, by dint of

> not giving a damn for southern Lebanon, of letting foreigners take hold of

> the privileges that belong to us, we no longer had the ability to recover

> our independence and sovereignty. If, at the end of this war, the Lebanese

> army retakes control over its territory and gets rid of the state within a

> state - that tried to suffocate the latter -, it will only be thanks to

> Tsahal [the Israeli Defense Forces. Translator's note], and that, all

> these faint-hearted politicians, from the crook Fouad Siniora, to Saad

> Hariri, the son of Lebanon's plunderer, and general Aoun all know

> perfectly well.

>

>

>

> As for the destruction caused by the Israelis. that is another imposture :

> look at the satellite map! I have situated, as best I could, BUT IN THEIR

> CORRECT PROPORTIONS, the parts of my capital that have been destroyed by

> Israel. They are Haret Hreik - in its totality - and the dwellings of

> Hezbollah's leaders, situated in the large Shi'a suburb of Dayaa (as they

> spell it) and that I have circled in blue.

>

>

>

> In addition to these two zones, Tsahal has exploded a nine-storied

> building that housed Hezbollah's command, in Beirut's city center, above

> and slightly to the left (to the north west) of Haret Hreik on the map. It

> was Nasrallah's "perch" inside the city, whereby he asserted his presence

> and domination over us. A depot of Syrian arms in the port, two army

> radars that the Shiite officers had put at the Hezb's disposal, and a

> truck suspected of transporting arms, in the Christian quarter of

> Ashrafieh.

>

>

>

> Moreover the road and airport infrastructures were put out of working

> order : they served to provide Hezbollah with arms and munitions. Apart

> from that, Tsahal has neither hit nor deteriorated anything, and all those

> who speak of the "destruction of Beirut" are either liars, Iranians,

> anti-Semites or absent. Even the houses situated one alley's distance from

> the targets I mentioned have not been hit, they have not even suffered a

> scratch; on contemplating these results of this work you understand the

> meaning of the concept "surgical strikes" and you can admire the dexterity

> of the Jewish pilots.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Satellite map of Beirut (Google Earth)

>

> Circled in red, the razed area, in blue, area where the dwellings

> belonging to the terrorist organization's top brass have been destroyed

> (Michael Béhé)

>

>

>

> Beirut, all the rest of Beirut, 95% of Beirut, lives and breathes better

> than a fortnight ago. All those who have not sided with terrorism know

> they have strictly nothing to fear from the Israeli planes, on the

> contrary! One example: last night the restaurant where I went to eat was

> jammed full and I had to wait until 9:30 pm to get a table. Everyone was

> smiling, relaxed, but no one filmed them: a strange destruction of Beirut,

> is it not?

>

>

>

> Of course, there are some 500,000 refugees from the south who are

> experiencing a veritable tragedy and who are not smiling. But Jean

> [Tsadik. Editor's note], who has his eyes fixed on Kfar Kileh, and from

> whom I have learned to believe each word he says, assures me that

> practically all the houses of the aforesaid refugees are intact. So they

> will be able to come back as soon as Hezbollah is vanquished.

>

>

>

> The defeat of the Shi'a fundamentalists of Iranian allegiance is imminent.

> The figures communicated by Nasrallah's minions and by the Lebanese

> Red-Cross are deceiving: firstly, of the 400 dead declared by Lebanon,

> only 150 are real collateral civilian victims of the war, the others were

> militiamen without uniform serving Iran. The photographic report "Les

> Civils des bilans libanais" made by Stéphane Juffa for our agency

> constitutes, to this day, the unique tangible evidence of this gigantic

> morbid manipulation. Which makes this document eminently important.

>

>

>

> Moreover, Hassan Nasrallah's organization has not lost 200 combatants, as

> Tsahal claims. This figure only concerns the combats taking place on the

> border and even then the Israelis underestimate it, for a reason that

> escapes me, by about a hundred militiamen eliminated. The real count of

> Hezbollah's casualties, that includes those dead in Beirut, the Bekaa

> Valley, Baalbek and their other camps, rocket and missile launchers and

> arms and munition depots amounts to 1,100 supplementary Hezbollah

> militiamen who have definitively ceased to terrorize and humiliate my

> country.

>

>

>

> Like the overwhelming majority of Lebanese, I pray that no one puts an end

> to the Israeli attack before it finishes shattering the terrorists. I pray

> that the Hebrew soldiers will penetrate all the hidden recesses of

> southern Lebanon and will hunt out, in our stead, the vermin that has

> taken root there. Like the overwhelming majority of Lebanese, I have put

> the champagne ready in the refrigerator to celebrate the Israeli victory.

>

>

>

> But contrary to them - and to paraphrase Michel Sardou [a French singer.

> Translator's note] -, I recognize that they are also fighting for our

> liberty, another battle "where you were not present"! And in the name of

> my people, I wish to express my infinite gratitude to the relatives of the

> Israeli victims - civilian and military - whose loved ones have fallen so

> that I can live standing upright in my identity. They should know that I

> weep with them.

>

>

>

> As for the pathetic clique that thrives at the head of my country, it is

> time for them to understand that after this war, after our natural allies

> have rid us of those who are hindering us from rebuilding a nation, a

> cease-fire or an armistice will not suffice. To ensure the future of

> Lebanon, it is time to make peace with those we have no reason to go to

> war against. In fact, only peace will ensure peace. Someone must tell them

> because in this country we have not learnt what a truism is.

>

>

>

> Note :

>

>

>

> [1] Michael Béhé is alluding to the book Le Horla, by Guy de Maupassant

> [Editor's note].

>

>

>

7/31/2006 12:45 PM  
Blogger Tarek a dit...

I have nothing further to say to fanatics such as you. You have accused me of saying things I never even though, have put words in my mouth and have refused to acknowledge the facts I put forward. I do not condone terrorism, and I have never supported Hizballah's actions. And I find it funny you should ask me to join the NDP when it is your positions that are in line with that of another party.

You are just as bad as the people you claim to want to eliminate.

7/31/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

You need a long rest Tarek.

Your posts are rude and false.

7/31/2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

Iggnatief will call for a cease fire and the disarming of Hizbollah in an op=ed tomorrow.

These are Israel's conditions for a cease fire.

Ignatieff has chosen sides.

7/31/2006 6:23 PM  
Blogger Fady a dit...

Toronto liberal, you are an ignorant that needs a reality check.

Like it or not, we're staying in the Liberal party and we're expressing our opinions because unlike in Israel, we don't call everyone terrorists.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5232434.stm

7/31/2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

Fady:

You too need a rest.

All you do is rant and insult.

Take a break.

7/31/2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger grit heart a dit...

More proof that France is off its rocker.

Here is their Foreign Minister speaking today in Beirut:

Douste-Blazy, who was in Beirut Monday, said, "In the region there is of course a country such as Iran - a great country, a great people and a great civilization which is respected and which plays a stabilizing role in the region."

7/31/2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger s.b. a dit...

Hey Antonio,

The Israeli defence department is saying the closest bombardmanet to Qanna was a kilometre away. Maybe a Hezbollah arsenal was responsible for killing all those women and children. Maybe it was even detonated on purpose for photo ops and international sympathy. Even accidentally, armamnets hidden under and around women and children sometimes go off. I will be very interested in an international force investigating whether it was Israeli or Syrian armaments that were detonated in Qanna, but I'm sure they'll have cleaned up the area before they let anyone investigate, as usual.

What will you say then Antonio. It's still Israels fault that Hezbollah felt it had to hide arms under women and children and then detonate them. I'm sure you will.

8/01/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger Phil Larouche a dit...

s.b.

Will you retract your misleading comment saying that the Qana incident might have been caused by Hezbollah ? The IDF has issued an apology for the victims and confirmed it was their mistake that killed over 60 innocent civilians, more than half of them being kids.

8/03/2006 1:07 AM  
Blogger JB a dit...

Thought readers might be interested in this Human Rights Report released today


Lebanon/Israel: IDF Fails to Explain Qana Bombing
Independent International Inquiry Required

(Beirut, August 3, 2006) – The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) inquiry into
the July 30 killing of at least 28 civilians in Qana is incomplete and legally
misguided, and contradicts eyewitness testimony, Human Rights Watch
said today. The findings underline the need for an independent
international inquiry into what took place.

"The Israeli military's explanation of what happened raises more
questions than it answers," said Kenneth Roth, executive director of
Human Rights Watch. "Crucial information is missing to determine what
led the IDF to attack these civilians. Only an independent international
investigation can get at that."

The IDF announced today that it targeted the building "in accordance with
the military's guidelines regarding the use of fire against suspicious
structures." Since July 12, Hezbollah fighters had launched more than 150
rockets from Qana and the surrounding area, the IDF said. The military
said it attacked based on information that "the building was not inhabited
by civilians and was being used as a hiding place for terrorists."

But the IDF failed to provide important details about the attack, Human
Rights Watch said. First, it did not say whether it believed that Hezbollah
fighters were in or around the building at the time of or directly prior to
the attack, which would potentially make the building a legitimate target.
Its failure even to make this claim suggests that fighters were not present.

That conclusion was supported by two eyewitnesses interviewed by
Human Rights Watch, who said that Hezbollah was not in the area when
the attack took place. Human Rights Watch researchers who visited Qana
the day after the attack found no destroyed military equipment in or near
the home. None of the international journalists, rescue workers and
international observers who visited the scene has yet reported seeing
evidence of Hezbollah military presence in the area, and rescue workers
have not yet recovered any bodies identifiable as Hezbollah fighters.

Second, the IDF did not clarify why it believed that Hezbollah fighters
were in the building, rather than civilians. According to Muhammad
Mahmud Shalhub, who was in the basement during the attack, 63
members of the extended Shalhub and Hashim families sought shelter in
the building when the first Israeli bombs hit Qana in the early evening of
July 29. It remains unclear why the IDF, with superior aerial surveillance,
did not know the families were there.

"Why did the Israeli military consider the building ‘suspicious'?" Roth
asked. "What information did it have to reach that conclusion?"

The IDF also repeated previous statements that it had warned Qana
residents to evacuate, thereby suggesting that it was the victims' fault
because they chose to remain. But in Qana and other villages in southern
Lebanon, thousands of residents have been unable to leave the area
because they are sick, wounded, do not have the means to leave or they
fear Israeli attacks on vehicles.

"The Israeli military cannot warn people to leave and then attack at will,"
Roth said. "The warnings are not an excuse to shoot blindly at anyone who
remains."

In a report issued today, "Fatal Strikes: Israel's Indiscriminate Attacks
Against Civilians in Lebanon," Human Rights Watch documented a
systematic failure by the IDF to distinguish between combatants and
civilians. In some cases, the timing and intensity of the attack, the absence
of a military target, as well as subsequent strikes on rescuers, suggest that
Israeli forces deliberately targeted civilians.

Of all the cases of civilian casualties included in the report, Human Rights
Watch found, none involved Hezbollah deliberately using civilians as
shields to protect them from retaliatory IDF attack. Hezbollah has
occasionally stored weapons in or near civilian homes and placed rocket
launchers within populated areas or near United Nations observers. Such
acts are serious violations of the laws of war because they violate the duty
to take all feasible precautions to avoid civilian casualties. However, those
violations did not account for the many deaths recorded in the Human
Rights Watch report. Nor do those cases justify the IDF's extensive use of
indiscriminate force, which has cost so many civilian lives.

For more of Human Rights Watch's work on the Israel-Lebanon conflict,
please visit: http://hrw.org/campaigns/israel_lebanon/

8/03/2006 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home