March 31, 2008

Denis Did His Job

I have to laugh at some of the bloggers hailing Stephane Dion’s shadow cabinet shuffle specifically for moving Denis Coderre out of a portfolio where a critic really was no longer necessary. As defence critic, Denis Coderre helped convince Stephane Dion that his previous position, while the popular one was not the correct one. I don’t know about you guys, but in my eyes, that should be viewed as a success. The Liberals got on the right of an issue even if they knew doing the opposite would get them more votes.

So in his time as defence critic, Denis Coderre managed to forge a consensus for his party to make the ultimately correct decision, and he lasted longer than his counterpart, who had to be hurriedly shuffled out last year.

He moves on to Heritage and Josee Verner, who Denis is once quoted as describing as “a simple-minded person who has no place in cabinet”. In Quebec, Heritage is a higher-profile portfolio than Defence, and I personally can’t wait for Denis, as critic for the CBC, finds out how wonderful Don Cherry is towards French Canadians.

So to Denis Coderre, my friend, I want to offer my congratulations on getting the job done. I wish you the same success with Josee Verner that you had with Gordon O’Connor!

Labels: ,

7 Commentaires:

Blogger Steve V a dit...

Antonio

Worthy spin, but spin all the same.

3/31/2008 6:38 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

how is this spin?

since when do you automatically buy something directly out of the mouth of Bob Fife?

Coderre is the only critic to take out a minister?

and for his efforts, he gets Josee Verner. I am having trouble seeing where this is bad for Denis...

3/31/2008 6:49 p.m.  
Blogger Steve V a dit...

I'm not taking my cues from Fife. Seems pretty simple, Dion replaced a perceived malcontent with a loyalist. The message spoke volumes. I'm not saying if it was right or not, but the intent is pretty self evident. The argument you present, Dion talking about how important his new critic role is, all allow for a less than overt maneuver, but the optics are quite clever. We agree to disagree.

3/31/2008 7:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

Coderre will be tested real soon as Shadow Heritage Minister. Due to the Phoenix Coyotes not qualifying for the NHL playoffs, the chance of Shane Doan being appointed Captain Canada for the World Hockey Championship is quite high. Maybe Denis should insist on having a French Canadian co-captain in the House of Commons pretty soon.

3/31/2008 9:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mark a dit...

He was offered a promotion several weeks ago and turned it down.

3/31/2008 10:59 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

he was offered lieutenant several times I am told.

I cant blame him for not taking it tho

3/31/2008 11:45 p.m.  
Blogger Dan McKenzie a dit...

I don't think it was much of a demotion either Antonio, but I think you celebrate his performance as defence critic a little much. I mean Gordon O'Connor got Gordon O'Connor removed from the Defence file. And lets remember he never actually even resigned from the position, Harper just moved him. And I hardly remember it as a great coup for Coderre, seemed like a team effort to me.

4/01/2008 10:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home