September 21, 2006

Hypocrisy, thy Name is Bob

If you scroll down so some of my earlier posts, I used to give Bob Rae props for recognizing Quebec as a nation and wanting to fix the “unilateral repatriation of the constitution”. Bob and Michael were on a close enough page here.

From what I heard from friends in Quebec City, Bob was shoulder to shoulder with Michael with his views on the Quebec nation. Then at the debate, Bob changed his tune. Suddenly it was too hard. Looks like John and Eddie (I assume we are on a first name basis with everyone on that campaign) commissioned a focus group in English Canada. Bob also needed something to distinguish himself from Ignatieff. To Bob’s credit, it worked. Depending what paper or poll you read, Uncle Bob is a co-frontrunner now.

So after the donation fiasco, I said it was time for some investigative journalism. I was looking for Quebec City quotes from the non-televised debate. Steve Janke beat me to the punch, and he got more. Oh how convenient

"I have made a personal effort for a long time to ensure the total participation of Quebec in the federation and the country, and it's what I will continue to do in all ways.''

Speaking in support of the federal Clarity Act, which imposed conditions on a future sovereignty referendum, he said he "preferred clarity to confusion, that's all.''

While he said in French that the unilateral repatriation of the Constitution without Quebec must be fixed, Rae added in English that Canada "isn't something broken that must be repaired.''

Below, this excerpt is from that non televised debate

In an all-candidates debate only five of the 11 contenders attended, Bob Rae, Stéphane Dion and Scott Brison said there is a need to recognize Quebec as a nation within Canada.

"I always supported the notion that Quebec...is a nation, it is a distinct society, which we need to recognize in our Constitution and I have fought for that," Mr. Rae said. "The genius behind federalism is that we can be both a Quebecker and a Canadian."

Then at the Citadelle in Quebec during the all-candidates debate

During the third all-candidates' debate yesterday, Bob Rae confronted his main rival, Michael Ignatieff, head-on, warning against promising to recognize Quebec as a nation in the Constitution if the party is not sure it will be able to do it.

Mr. Rae was responding to Mr. Ignatieff, who said the country will eventually need to recognize Quebec as a nation. Mr. Ignatieff insisted there is a need to give Quebeckers hope that one day they will be able to say, "Quebec is my nation, but Canada is my country."

"In my view, it is dangerous for the Liberal Party to promise people that we will change the Canadian Constitution because, my friends, we tried it and, I can tell you from experience, it is not easy to do: the negotiations are difficult and ratification is difficult," Mr. Rae told Liberal supporters during yesterday's debate.

So Bob has flip-flopped on the Quebec nation question. Bob will still do well in Quebec as he has a great team. However, the separatists will have a field day painting him as a hypocrite, for recognizing Quebec’s status but now refusing to enshrine it. If you think the French Press can’t completely destroy someone’s reputation, I suggest asking Stephane Dion, who with his “actual” views on Quebec should have swept the province. Dion also has an interesting choice to make. It is more and more likely that he will be kingmaker on the floor of the convention.

The Quebec academic will have to choose between two very stark alternatives. One will make him a hero. The other will make him a goat. Depending where you’re from, the outcome is interchangeable. I do not envy Mr. Dion.

2 Commentaires:

Blogger Anthony a dit...

ed that was the reporter...not me

9/21/2006 3:21 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

yeah my bad

i was a little sloppy that time

9/21/2006 5:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home