October 3, 2006

The Next Step: Avoiding Hypocrisy

Ever have anyone lie to your face and not even flinch?

Two days after calling my candidate the worst possible thing for the Liberal Party, one person emailed me today saying Ignatieff could be the rallying force to renew the party.

Do they really mean it? I highly doubt it.

Will those who went across Ontario this weekend reminding everyone of Rae days suddenly forget Rae was ever Premier?

Will the Quebeckers who knocked Gerard’s French suddenly speak of a massive improvement since Super Weekend?

The past 6 months have been tiring and relentless. Between myself Marc and Alex, I think we all slept in to an average of like 3PM Monday. That brings me to the subject of Alex’s post yesterday which he removed later in the day.

I helped him write it so I am guilty by association here. Over the past few months, some of the youth on the Rae team doubted our ability to do anything. They used phrases like “you are gonna unemployed by the end of this race” and called us “sissies who couldn’t organize.”

Did I feel ambivalent watching their ENTIRE organization lose? Put yourself in our shoes. We felt DAMN good about it. It made our victory as delegates THAT much sweeter. They said we couldn’t do it. We did it. They did not. Take it for what it is worth.

I realized not all the Rae people were that bad. When Philippe Legault, a friend of mine, asked me about it, he simply said what I ever did to him. Phil is no angel, but he was right, our displaced anger was taken out on more than a few people. I immediately asked Alex to take down the post. Me and Phil spoke for an hour. No little post would get in the way of our friendship. We talked about the rest of the race and how it would unfold.

One thing that kept coming up was how people would put on a front that all the other candidates were as fantastic as fresh roses, compared to being rotten tomatoes just this past weekend.

Will I forget some people in the Dion camp accusing me of fraud to gain votes at Concordia? Not anytime soon and that is a promise. We were livid, so we got even and won McGill too.

So instead of “playing nice” and lying our way through the next two months, let’s all admit we made mistakes the six months and do the best thing possible to get this party united, and just stop lying to each other.

0 Commentaires:

Post a Comment

<< Home