December 9, 2008

Tous Ensemble…After Christmas

I’ve kept my mouth shut over the past week.

I was watching Stephen Harper’s manufactured unity crisis play out in Quebec, where Pauline Marois was 4 seats away from snatching victory away from Jean Charest, denying him a majority.

Harper’s antics did have a few benefits. He got rid of the greatest asset to the Conservative Party, Stephane Dion.

As Elizabeth Thompson intelligently pointed out today, Ignatieff has a way of getting under Harper’s skin. If the government survives, we can begin to see a chess match develop.

I am absolutely over the moon that Ignatieff is leader. DUH! You couldn’t wipe the smile off my face today, no matter what happened. After the rage of December 2nd 2006, the pain, the tears, the devastated look on the faces of all my friends, today felt great.

Thinking of that fateful afternoon in Montreal, I understand the rage that the Ignatieff detractors are feeling today. It is asking too much to expect everyone to swallow this and “rally behind the leader”. That is why Liberals had to get this done quickly. They needed to ensure that people had a bit of time to recover.

So to all the people who think that this “travesty” means you are going to leave the party, take a deep breath. Take the holidays to think it over. In 5 weeks, the Liberals will take a major step. They have a chance to defeat Harper and take power. The LPC cannot go into this critical phase divided. Internal strife has cost this party far too much.

So let’s put tous ensemble on hold for a few days. Take time to think it over. After Christmas decide whether its time to fish or cut bait. The Liberal Party needs to stop dicking around.

Labels:

4 Commentaires:

Blogger bigcitylib a dit...

This call for unity would carry more weight if you hadn't been such a bitch the whole time Dion was in power.

(PS. I HAVE gotten behind Iggy, or at least learned to accept him in his Iggyness)

12/09/2008 7:07 p.m.  
Blogger DivaRachel a dit...

I can't stop laughing. BCL has a point.

12/09/2008 9:56 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

well

I believe I followed my own advice

I decided to leave the party.

I stay gone btw.

journalism school is what it is, but I wrote this post because I knew just how upset some people would be.

12/10/2008 11:33 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown a dit...

smart blog. take a look at my Libreal blog, in French. Take care.

12/11/2008 12:05 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home