October 25, 2006

Poster Child of the New Liberal Party

Fuddle Duddle Sits Down with Martha Hall Findlay

A while back, when it was actually warm in Montreal, I sat down with Martha Hall Findlay in Old Montreal. I saw the Marthamobile on De la Commune roll up and I knew I was in for an interesting day.

All my friends know how I tend to yak on and on, so I only got to the personality questions and the questions about Quebec. Me and Martha dished on the Newmarket-Aurora battle between her and Belinda as well as her future plans to run for a seat. However, I spent the majority of the interview feeling out her personality, and I from what I gathered that summer day, the train has just left the station.

First things first, I asked Martha what her favorite color is, which happens to be green. I have nailed a few politicians on this question before. I don’t really give a hoot what your favorite color is. I just don’t want people thinking about what their favorite color is because its such a simple question. Martha answered green, I asked why. “Green because I always liked green.” So Bull Shit test passed, you have earned my respect.

She is a Leafs fan, (nobody is perfect) and like all of us, admitted to being a little disloyal when the flames and oilers were getting all Canadian hopes up the past few years. It’s ok Martha. But get back to me when you find those color photographs of the last Leaf Victory Parade.

The last bit of fun was one word associations where I ask people to say the first word that pops into their head when I mention something completely random. This is another test to see if they are getting all political about it.

Curling (laughs): Canadian (more laughing…at least she is enjoying herself)
Stephen Harper: Unnerving…vocabulary..check
Poutine: GREAT! (BIG POINTS HERE!) I would have preferred nutritious, but not bad for a Leafs Fan

A great point in the interview was when Martha brought up why she waited til now to enter politics. She implied that had she left three children at home while being an MP, people would frown on it, as a mother has to raise her children. I agree here. Feminism aside, society still perceives women as caretakers and men as providers. It is wrong to see it that way but that doesn’t change how it is. Martha brought up Mark Holland, who has three young children but spends a lot of time in Ottawa as an MP. She asks, would it be as politically correct for a woman to be an MP leaving her kids at home with the husband? Very Insightful. I won’t ever be a mother (and if I turned out anything like mine, God save the world) but based on my experience when I was a page, I noticed the women had much more trouble in Ottawa managing their families.

Why the Liberal Party? She actually answered the question. She said she watched as her party took the wrong position on the GST and Free Trade, but her social policy is what made her Liberal. “The NDP sound great, and it just drives me crazy because they say everything you wanna do, but have no clue as to actually how to do it.” I wonder which example of NDP government Martha would look to prove that point. I am not putting words in her mouth, but I should have asked her.

She quoted Scott Brison “We are not left, we are not right, we are forward.”

I moved on to the Newmarket Affair, and gave her an opportunity to skip the issue, she said ask, don’t worry and answered all the questions I had…they were all gossip related, but here are the highlights:

Do you regret giving up the riding? “No, it was the right thing to do. I would do it again if the situation was the same.”

Were people in the riding upset? “Yes”

There are some people who believe you are still more qualified than Belinda Stronach to hold political office, do you agree? Ok she dodged here…but she said “I was the more qualified candidate in 2004” and left it at that. Haha Good Job Martha!

How many bilingual women under the age of 50 are there in the Liberal Caucus? She didn’t know. It was a trick question. The answer is NONE. That is right, we get one young bilingual, actively vocal woman on our roster and what happens, and we toss her aside for a 6 month reprieve at power…nothing against Belinda, but things like this drive me mad. Martha managed to calm me down…she is so nice.

I, on the other hand, clearly have issues.

We talked about floor-crossing, and Martha believes people should sit as an independent until the next election. I asked if Martha could have beaten Belinda in a nomination meeting in May 2005 and she said she would have won.

Where do you wanna run now? “I have said to anybody who listens, I wanna run in the GTA.” (ahem Martha….Trinity Spadina, we need less Olivia Chow)

Quebec, naturally was a big issue for me but I am sure you heard enough from me so I will briefly state her position.

Everybody knows my position but not many know Martha’s. She has a difficulty consolidating the view that recognizing Quebec’s nationhood leaves out many other groups in Canada, which in my opinion, is the most valid criticism of the plan. She makes her position clear that she believes the Quebec people form a sociological nation but is uncomfortable putting that into the country’s founding document.

We discussed the issue more in depth but were always stuck on that one contentious point. It has been a while. Perhaps I should give her another shout.

Martha Hall Findlay is the type of candidate we should be looking for in all 308 ridings. She has the energy necessary to address the difficulties facing this country, and she is more than capable of representing whichever constituents she chooses to represent. When it comes to injecting new blood into the party, nobody can do it with more class and dignity than Martha Hall Findlay.

She can associate with the average Canadian as a successful businesswoman, as a mother, and as an overall caring, compassionate person. I would be hard-pressed to find another new candidate more vital to the party’s future than someone like her.

It is a shame she did not get elected in 2004, or else, who knows, she might have more than 1% of the delegates going to Montreal. I look forward to seeing her in the House of Commons after the next general election. The Liberal Party needs more good people, and I could not think of a better poster child for the renewed Liberal Party than Martha Hall Findlay.

Good Luck Martha!

8 Commentaires:

Blogger S.K. a dit...

Are you going to start crowing about how all Martha's delegates are all yours now too. Actually, I heard that one from the Iggy camp a while back ahahahahahah. At this point, you guys need to make sure that all of your delegates are Iggy's delegates, far less bragging about anyone else's. From what i hear, there are more than a few people who have to vote for him on the first ballot who will be looking elsewhere after that.

Oh yeah have you raised the issue of jobs in Abitibi with Mr.ignattief, since, he technically represents them as do you. No he doesn't really care about the regions where he placed Montrealers as delegates does he?

And about that ex-officio support, I'd place bets you guys can kiss at least half of that goodbye after the stunt you pulled last weekend.

So please stop trying to kiss other campaigns asses and worry about your own, which is going rapidly downhill and has alienated itself from the entire Liberal political sphere, except those who really don't think Iggy means what he says ahahahah.

10/25/2006 1:36 p.m.  
Blogger S.K. a dit...

Oh and i figured out what happened the other day at the debate. Igs wife the lovely and talented suzanna forgot to hand out the collation of milk and cookies to her husband's supporters beforehand. You know how cranky children get when they have missed their collation.

10/25/2006 1:40 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

honestly shoshana

I had a nice conversation with Miss Findlay and I wrote about what I asked her and how she answered.

I never said anything about Martha delegates or made any leadership comments or second ballot comments because they were inappropriate and I did not ask her.

Some people doubt my ability to be sincere, well that is their problem. You will always be negative.

10/25/2006 1:43 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

well I guess there is no point being sincere anymore.

I interviewed Kennedy this past saturday.

Warning, he sat down with me. This is not an attempt for campaign outreach. The assumption that all of us bloggers are honest should be respected. Clearly, some people are only here to smear

10/25/2006 3:29 p.m.  
Blogger S.K. a dit...

Everything the Igster blogs have done so far has been orchestrated. i'm surprised Antonio didn't come out with his "sincere" Kennedy interview the same day that cerberus gave his "sincere" opinions about Kennedy and TDH Stategies aslo came out with "sincere" praise of Kennedy. Come on these directives come from HQ. There is nothing sincere about it. Nothing at all. its about trying to get delegates. That's all, nothing more. If Antonio cared about anything else, he would be pushing an agenda that helped Abitibi with their job losses because they elected him to represent them at convention instead of trying to divide the county and boo other candidates. If Martha had been bringing up Igs own words on Sat Antonio and Alex and all the other children would have been booing her too.

No Antonio you don't seem sincere at all after a stunt that has made every major newspaper in the country and makes Liberals look bad. No sincere is not the word anyone would use to describe your actions.

10/25/2006 6:28 p.m.  
Blogger In_The_Centre a dit...

Thank you for posting the interview.

Im sorry you have to here all the crap from some of these people.

Maybe you deserve it, maybe you dont. But this posting was quality and you have a right to your views.

Just what remember what Macleans said about political blogs

"The vast majority of political blogs are deeply ideological and partisan, screeds or sophomoric insults" and attract a core of like-minded contributors, and tend to devolve into vitriolic screeds or sophomoric insults

10/26/2006 1:39 a.m.  
Blogger Alex Plante a dit...

Anna Yanuk,

Go fuck yourself !

Alex Plante

10/26/2006 3:55 p.m.  
Blogger Sinestra a dit...

What a charming blog! It's nice to have the hosts of fuddle duddle telling people to go f*ck themself. Boo!

Seriously, though, no one HAS to vote on first ballot. To be clear: if one is to vote, one must vote for the candidate they were elected to support. But one can opt not to vote. From what I've heard, quite a few Iggy supporters will be doing this and then picking someone else.

10/27/2006 8:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home