May 11, 2008

Nice to meet you...so are you a terrorist?

Now when I *meet* someone, I like to get to know them better. I ask about their hobbies, their interests, if they cheer for the Canadiens, you know, the basic, but important stuff.

Now thankfully I have left the political realm, because if I was ever Minister of Foreign Affairs, my first dates would go alot differently...

Me: Hi

Unlucky suitor no.1: Hello there, nice to meet you. I have heard so many things...

Me: thats what I was afraid of

Unlucky suitor no. 1: haha

Me: so are you a terrorist?

Unlucky suitor no. 1: Excuse me?

Me: are you affiliated with bikers or organized crime?

Unlucky suitor no.1: Um no. Why are you asking these questions?

Me: I'm sorry it comes with my job. When the RCMP and CSIS look into your past, are they gonna find any pictures of you with shady people? Those opposition members sure are pesky.

Unlucky Suitor no.1: Check please!

See, this is the problem with the whole kerfuffle about Maxime Bernier and his ex-girlfriend.

"The state has no affairs in the bedrooms of the nation."

The nation also has no affairs in the bedrooms of the state. It works both ways.

Here is a quote spoken just seconds after Trudeau made the famous one above.

"what's done in private between adults doesn't concern the Criminal Code."

It also does not concern Stephane Dion, Michael Ignatieff, Gilles Duceppe and company.

And using national security as an excuse to violate even this basic principle is very...um...whats the word im looking for here...big brother. We try and protect civil liberties in Canada. The last thing we want is the government monitoring everything "in the interest of national security".

Labels:

2 Commentaires:

Blogger KC a dit...

Im confused why this is a story as well. I didnt like this kind of silly mudslinging when it was the Liberals who were the target in government and I dont like it now.

5/11/2008 2:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

Bernier is an idiot and he should have been shuffled for a bunch of reasons - the Afghan gaffe probably the most obvious. But focusing on his ex-gfriend is pointless when there are so many important issues the country faces (econ slowdown, on going war, enviro crisis, etc.) That is why Jack didn't bother to focus on it in during QP last week. Seems to me that is common sense and it isn't necessarily neutrality but sensibility that you and Jack share :)

5/11/2008 8:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home