December 18, 2006

How many times will you hear the Sun Tzu quote today?

In a move that is meant to encourage party unity, Stephane Dion is placing his former rivals in the leadership race at the forefront, giving them prominent positions in the party structure.

What is the old saying? Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.

So, if Dion wins the next election, we are in government everybody is happy and we can worry about governing and not leadership. If we lose…we can all be comforted by the fact that Bob wrote the policy, Gerard did the organizing and Michael was the right hand man all along…

Good Job Stephane, for an idealistic philosophy professor, you are more Machiavellian than I ever gave you credit for.

Ok with all the ass-slapping and back-patting done, can we move onto the real issues affecting Canada, like collapsing social safety net in this country, and the gap of services received in different areas, rural and urban, across provinces. Ottawa is awash in surpluses, just like it was in the 1950s. It took good will and leadership to give us social security, health care, and pensions. Now we need leadership to push forward with child care, pharmacare, home care, and the other programs that Canadians want.

Clearly, we have work to do.

My blogger colleague Sebastien Jodoin
takes Stephane Dion to task on the nation and fiscal imbalance with the time and precision I only wish I could provide on a regular basis. His analysis goes to the heart of how as minister, Dion was only interested in winning points against the sovereigntists, and not interested in solving the problems before him.

Although my personal favourite quote is how Dion talks about Canada is not good with symbolic politics, how it never works really well. Like say, for example, signing an environment treaty with no plans to ever meet the targets but acknowledging it as a symbolic step in the right direction. Oh the irony, oh the Bloc attack ads… (Symbolism is good for plants, but not for Quebecers!)

We all know that interprovincial relations is not a walk in the park, as like our dear leader says ‘Canada works better in practice, than in theory.’ My hope is the same thing can be said about Stephane Dion.

8 Commentaires:

Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

So this is going to be your bag from now on? The one-man Dion attacking machine?

12/18/2006 7:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

The quote is Canada works better in practice than theory.

Iggy and his Librano buddies have about as much clarity of thought on issues that are important to Quebeckers as a goldfish can write the LSAT.

Alex Dakota

Red State Canucks

12/18/2006 7:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

So this is going to be your bag from now on? The one-man Dion attacking machine?

12/18/2006 7:23 p.m.  
Blogger S.K. a dit...

With Liberals like you pining about taking Dion to task who needs the BLOQ. Why don't you just quit the Party Antonio, since you've decided not to support the new leader. Like I said about watching Ignatieff and his people , they aren't subtle.

Really what the hell are you doing?

12/18/2006 7:30 p.m.  
Blogger g.k. a dit...

When he rewards his supporters he is criticized and when he rewards his rivals he is criticized.

I see a pattern here...

For the same person preaching that Dion talked the least about party unity compared to his rivals even though his campaign slogan was "Un Parti Uni, Un Canada Uni", this just shows that you're still as bitter as after the convention...

Dion is only in his second week on the job and he's doing what everybody should be doing after the convention which means healing old wounds and encouraging party unity...so can we please stop "can we focus on the real issues?" BS?

No matter what Dion does or what he will do, you will never be satisfied....thanks for giving the Bloc a great idea for their ad in the next election campaign!

12/18/2006 7:51 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

I'm sorry, alex dakota is right, I got the quote completely backwards.

Oops! It changes the intent completely. I can see how come people are upset...lemme correct it.

I thought I was rather nice to Dion. I dont bring up Dion's record on national minimum standards. I wont have to, I am sure the NDP will, in due time.

I said good for him for making the right political move, let's get back to the real issues, where believe Stephane is on the wrong side on some of the big ones, including fiscal imbalance, and national minimum standards.

We cant bask in our own glory for long, there is an election to plan.

12/18/2006 10:50 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

Am I attacking him personally?

Never did and never will.

I accept Dion as the leader. I am still a member of the party.

However, if you expect me to stop voicing my concern over such a fundamental issue like the fiscal imbalance, you are mistaken.

I am a staunch federalist. I am also a centralist, where I also disagree with Dion strongly. Expect there to be disagreement.

I disagreed with Martin too, and was quite vocal about it.

We are Liberals because of the values we believe in, not because of who is the leader of the party.

Disagree with me if you will, but the whole Jean Lapierre "I am only in the Party as long as X person is the leader" bit is not something I respect.

I would have expected Ignatieff to get a rocky reception from the Dion and probably Kennedy bloggers. Not because they truly despise Ignatieff, but because they disagree with him on fundamental issues.

It is completely natural. Blind following of the leader only leaves us with Martinites and Chretienites and Dionistas and Iggymaniacs. Last time I checked we were all Liberal.

Why do we have to lose our voice now?

12/19/2006 10:57 a.m.  
Blogger S.K. a dit...

Anybody but Iggy,

Iggy was never never in cabinet. You are giving him too much credit.

12/19/2006 12:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home