March 29, 2006

Professors and Lawyers

The drive-by smear by Warren Kinsella on Monday came as an absolute surprise to me. Firstly, for someone who is supposedly sitting out the election to go all spin-attack mode on Ignatieff seemed a little eerie. Now that he has left navigator, I wonder if he is getting involved in this thing after all…I hope he does!

My original response to him was:

“Justified criticism, what Axworthy implies we need to do, would be for Ignatieff: I read Michael Ignatieff to say we have to sit down and define exactly what torture is. Coercive interrogation is sometimes necessary to extract information especially when time is scarce. We have to breakdown the barrier of zero tolerance torture and truly define the fine line that separates right and wrong. Otherwise, this yet-to-be-created line will always be crossed.


reading his articles, in full, not pulling out one or two lines, would lead you to draw that those are his conclusions. Now let's criticize what Michael actually believes. He isn't "parking one's critical faculties at the front door", you are by taking him completely out of context by being critical of the detail and not of the whole picture.”

I was still a bit flabbergasted…After all, it was still quite the smear, linking to spin instead of actual articles, and it was sooo smeary!

Tuesday, another cheap shot…"steal a page from the Ignatieff playbook, and issue an essay describing in numbing detail why chasing girls at recess is right and proper and wise, and then state in the last line on the last page that he, personally, would not necessarily advocate chasing girls at recess.”

I again responded:

I am happy to see you are encouraging your son to write both sides of the story before coming to a decision. It will help him in writing any high school or university essay.

Now I finally understood Warren, and I realized why I was so confused as to what I will do after I finish my degree. What is the true difference between an academic and a lawyer? An academic argues both sides of the story to make the reader understand the issue. A lawyer argues only one side of the story, because they aren’t paid to argue the other side, the other lawyer is. An academic starts with a question and works their way forward. A lawyer starts with an answer and goes backward to prove they are right.

No wonder my profs are telling me not to go to law school! But can you really see me arguing the both sides when I could make 2 separate arguments and bill for double?

Still undecided!

6 Commentaires:

Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

Antonio,
If you can't stand the heat (and your own drive by smears on Brigitte) then get out of the kitchen!

Take it like a man - Warren Kinsdella was dead on with his critique of Ignatieff.

3/31/2006 7:09 a.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

HAHAHA

I will say that "I disagree with her choice" is far from a smear.

And Kinsella was DEAD off

He knows it himself

3/31/2006 8:05 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

Really Antonio,

How about all of the posts on your site about her supposed 70,000 salary. Did Marineau tell you the exact amount?

Do you think we are stupid!

We know who did the smear job on Brigitte. You should hang your heads in shame for trying to tear her down.

As far as Warren is concerned, many more read his blog then yours and even more agree with his assessment.

3/31/2006 8:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

I also think Kinsella was on the mark.

Ignatieff has been out of the country far too long. He referred, in his writings, to himself as part of the American collectivity.

Perhaps that's why he supported George Bush when he sent the troops into Iraq.

He supports BMD.

Those are not positions that Quebecers are frankly comfortable with.

There are a dozen other very qualified candidates.

3/31/2006 3:03 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

HAHAHAHA

Me and Alex busted our ass to defend Brigitte from the accusations of going to Belinda...

but if you have the gguts to accuse me of backstabbing my own friend, give us your last name and say who you really are.

I still think Warren was over the top, he purposefully misled people to spin his point correctly....in fact it was perfectly executed...so much for his wife killing him for not getting involved...oops

3/31/2006 9:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

Antonio,
when you have half the political savvy of Warren Kinsellamaybe peole will stop thinking that you are such a pathetic political wannabe.

Brigitte will stop you dead in your tracks. I assume you know what you will need to do after the baliff visits you.

By the way, you don't need my last name, you know perfectly well who I am.

3/31/2006 10:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home