February 10, 2007

Garth Turner Days Away From Collecting Parliamentary Pension

You see, I was never a big fan of Garth Turner. After all, he earned my most overrated MP title of 2006. But his recent "I wont resign cuz everybody else is a hypocrite" routine is a little much. But why would someone risk jeopardizing all his credibility if he is so sure he will be re-elected?

Like many others, I believe we will be voting before the spring is up and Harper would likely keep Turner out of Parliament until he raised enough money for his own candidate to kick Turner’s butt. With the present Tory funds, that would take about 17 minutes, so Turner knows he would go into a by-election without money and that slight tinge of hypocrisy going against him.

He says he doesn’t want his riding without any representation but this has nothing to do with his constituents. Turner asked his constituents what he should do following his turfing and a grand total of ZERO recommended jumping to the Liberals…

So we look for other motivations. Turner spent almost 5 years as an MP during the Mulroney years and that got me thinking, how far away is he from his pension? (You need 6 years in Parliament)

2006.01.23, Halton, Ontario Re-Elected

1993.10.25, Halton--Peel, Ontario Defeated

1988.11.21, Halton--Peel, Ontario Elected

4 years 10 months 26 days the first time

1 year and 18 days since he got elected in 2006.

For a grand total of 5 years 11 months and 16 days, a mere 2 weeks from collecting his pension. We wonder why there is cynicism in politics. This is the reason. People with a soapbox turning around and being hypocrites the following day. In the interests of fairness, Garth should give up his pension should he lose because he should have resigned last week.


Come on Garth, this is about the constituents.

10 Commentaires:

Blogger Robert McClelland a dit...

This is stupid. If he was worried about his pension he could have just remained an independent for the next two weeks and then joined the Liberals.

2/10/2007 12:57 p.m.  
Blogger rockfish a dit...

Yeah, as usual you're sniping is off the mark. Turner is assured of reaching his pension unless that bus your driving hits him... His personal reasons could be wrapped up concisely as thus:
1) he had little fundraising options as an independent
2) he received enough feedback from his constituents to convince him that this was the best cause while also giving him best opportunity to continue his 'all-things garth' forum
3) the electronic cabbage leaf in the back of his head was compelling him to 'Join the Liberals, replace Wajjid as mole, report all things back to fearless Leader'...

2/10/2007 1:06 p.m.  
Blogger Mark a dit...

hmmm. this is a bit of a stretch.

Mind you, I've got my own whacked-out theory about Garth...

http://nottawa.blogspot.com/2007/02/saturday-morning-fun.html

2/10/2007 1:41 p.m.  
Blogger Kris a dit...

Also, I believe Turner's personal finances rank him at "millionare" status, so I don't think he would be overly concerned about his pension.

2/10/2007 3:00 p.m.  
Blogger John Post a dit...

Why are you damaging your credibility by looking like a blogger out to hurt someone at the expense of truth or at least no research or thought?
Now what you say about Garth will have even less credibility in the future.
This guy was a multi-millionare when he ran for the Tory leadership in'93 and the real estate economy has hardly been poor since then.
He lives in the same building as Belinda Stronach for Pete's sake.
First and last time here - you just lack any credibility now to bother with.
But before I go - "Why did you do it?" Why create such a falsehood? You everyone an explaination. I am ashamed to know you are a Liberal and you are a JOKE!

2/11/2007 9:06 a.m.  
Blogger Garth Turner a dit...

Antonio:

Somebody forwarded me your blog about my pension. It is a sad thing to see
others acsribe such motives when the facts are otherwise.

I was told when re-elected again that I do have a pension, which is $15,000
a year, and will start upon my resignation, retirement or defeat, whenever
that event might take place - last summer, next summer, today or a year from
now. There is no "triggering" of such a retirement allowance that takes
place in 2007. You should have checked. My pension, like that of all MPs,
will increase with years of service.

Second, I am independently wealthy and have already saved enough to ensure
my retirement income. That fact has been widely reported, and you could also
have discovered it.

For myself, I don't much care what impact your words have. For the system's
sake, you should be quite remorseful.

Regards,
Garth

2/11/2007 11:06 a.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

Garth,

I was told by a former MP that it was triggered after 6 years and it seemed a little too much of a coincidence. If I am wrong, then I apologize, I wont mention the MP's name, as they are seeking to get back into the house.

Secondly, was my statement wrong that in your citizens forum, not one person suggested switching sides? I do find that rather troubling that you would sit in the safety of the Liberal caucus allowing you to raise money under the Liberal banner and preventing any challenger from challenging the nomination.

I realize the title may have led some to believe this was only about the pension, but it wasnt. It was about the fact that your decision was mostly based on personal motives and not the wishes of your constituents.

I, in no way, meant to call you greedy. I knew you were independently wealthy. It was about the eerie coincidence. It seemed the only person that benefitted from you joining the Liberal caucus was, well, you.

Regards

Antonio

2/11/2007 12:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous a dit...

Antonio I think you & I are becoming less popular w Lib MPs by the day.

2/11/2007 2:29 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony a dit...

haha I was never after popularity.

I wont speak for Liberal McGill (ok that was cheap, im sorry)

Did you burn the banner yet?

2/11/2007 2:40 p.m.  
Blogger ainge lotusland a dit...

garth turner, are you going to answer the question about the citizens assembly? i think you should do it on fuddle-duddle.

2/12/2007 4:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home